YouTube_STATSFrom humble roots, YouTube has grown into a web behemoth. The second largest search engine and one of the most visited sites in the world, YouTube is also a top social media destination.

YouTube’s founders created the site because they could not send a video by email. The original video player, 320 x 280 pixels in size, soon became a video industry standard. Because of it’s ease of use, YouTube quickly became the place for people to easily upload and share video content. Now it allows the upload of high definition videos up to 3840 x 2160 (or 2160p) and almost every size below this.

After Google acquired YouTube in 2006, they began generating advertising revenue and to become the preeminent website for video content and allow some of its users an opportunity to generate revenue with their videos.

Today, YouTube is one of the most popular websites in the world. It has become the de facto venue for content ranging from Super Bowl ads to music videos to personal content. Companies are able to take advantage of YouTube being the second largest search engine in the world by sharing video content there about their brand and services to reach potential customers who may not have found them with a traditional web search. Corporations can also provide video content to support their products or services already on the market. Individuals can profit from YouTube through partner revenue sharing programs where some of the top channels are earning millions of dollars annually. The top “YouTube Star” is currently the channel PewPewDie, a video gaming channel, which earns an estimated $7 million dollars annually from YouTube revenue sharing. The channel is so powerful, it has altered how some independent video game developers design their games.

Here are some other fascinating stats to ponder about YouTube:

  • The first video uploaded to YouTube April 23, 2005 was 20 seconds in duration. The video is titled “Me at the zoo” and shows one of YouTube’s founders, Jawed Karim, at the San Diego Zoo.
  • In its first month after launch in 2005, YouTube had 3 million visitors.
  • In its first year, YouTube had 38 million visitors.
  • In 2015, YouTube has roughly 1 BILLION visitors EVERY month.
  • 85% of adult web users visit YouTube (the other 15% are lying)
  • 300 hours of video uploaded every MINUTE (That is a LOT of cat videos, and while you were pondering this…another 300 hours of video were just uploaded)
  • Google Ad Platforms include over 1 million advertisers on YouTube. Annual advertising revenue is estimated to be $3.7 – $5.6 billion.
  • Psy’s Gangnam Style was uploaded in 2012 and is the most viewed video with over 2 billion views. It was also the 1st video to reach 1 billion views.
  • 50% of YouTube’s views are from mobile devices
  • 7 million hours of Super Bowl ads and teaser ads were watched in 2015
  • 80% of traffic comes from outside of the US and YouTube is localized in 75 countries and available in 61 languages (Want to extend your business global reach? YouTube is a good place to start)

Some of the numbers and statistics around YouTube are mind boggling. Any other stats you’ve heard about YouTube you find fascinating?

 

 

Eric Guerin is the founder of Adelie Studios. He chooses to use his creative powers for good and not evil by helping businesses to better market themselves using animated marketing videos. He can easily be bribed with coffee.